Saturday, August 2, 2014

#533 Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown


About a month or so ago, I saw one of Pedro Almodovar's films for the first time. I rented "The Skin I Live In" and I loved it so much that I wanted to watch Almodovar's entire filmography. Since then I have seen "Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down," "Matador," and "Laws of Desire." It just so happens that the fifth film of his that I have seen is on the list of 1001 movies that I must see before I die. This movie was pretty different from all of the other movies that I've seen of his. The other movies were more about sex, and obsession, and were darker than this movie.  The one thing that this film has in common with the other films is a theme of mental illness. "Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown" centers around Pepa, played by Carmen Maura, who gets dumped by her lover. While trying to get in touch with him, and through a series of coincidences, she meets his son, played by Antonio Banderas, her lover's mentally ill wife, and his new mistress. She also has to deal with her friend who believes that she is in trouble with the law because she had an affair with a Shiite terrorist. This movie has tons of melodrama, but still manages to be funny.  This is also the first of Almodovar's films that I've seen where Antonio Banderas isn't playing the mentally ill one. In this movie he is playing a pretty normal guy who keeps trying to make out with Pepa's friend even though his fiance is passed out in the next room. While I liked "The Skin I Live In" and "Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!" better than this one, it was still good movie, and it makes me want to continue to check out Almodovar's filmography.


No comments:

Post a Comment