Wednesday, May 18, 2016

#575 Caravaggio

I didn't know anything about Caravaggio before I saw this movie, and now that I've watched it, I still don't know anything, except that he was an Italian painter. This movie is about Caravaggio (obviously) who is dying and looking back on his life, and the man he loved (played by a sexy young Sean Bean). I thought that since an image of Dexter Fletcher as young Caravaggio is used in all of the posters I've seen for this film, it would be switching back and forth between young Caravaggio and older Caravaggio. That, however, was not the case, and Dexter Fletcher was only in one scene.
I thought that the look of this film was very cool, and that the use of lighting and colors made it look like an Italian painting from that time period. I'm guessing it was the director's intent to make the film look like a Caravaggio painting. Since the only Caravaggio paintings I've seen are in this film, I can't really say if that is the case or not.
My one major criticism about this movie is that I don't think it spent enough time on the relationships between Caravaggio and Sean Bean as well as Caravaggio and Lena. At the end when he is extremely upset about her death, and when Sean Bean's character reveals that he killed her in the name of love, both events seem out of nowhere. Up until that moment, I didn't think that Sean Bean's character even cared about Caravaggio. I thought that he was just pretending to be interested to make Lena jealous. I also want to mention how damn good looking Sean Bean is in this movie. Every time he was on screen I couldn't take my eyes off of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment